1. This book was written by James (Jesus' brother) to encourage believers in their faith during the difficult times of persecution.
2. James mentions when we face temptations, not if.
3. We benefit from trials and temptations.. We learn patience.
4. Ask God for the strength to get through these times, then be patient.. God is helping us to be mature and complete (perfect)
5. Ask God for wisdom if you need it
6. Asking in faith is asking with confidence that God will align our desires with His purpose. God does not grant every thoughtless or selfish request. A wavering mind is not completely convinced that God's way is best.. you must commit yourself wholeheartedly.
7-8. an unstable mind is like the restless wave.. rely on God to show what is best for you.
9. A brother of low degree would be a person of humble circumstances.. without status or wealth. They are often overlooked.. even in churches. Strive to treat them as Christ would treat them.
10 - 11 Wealth, status and power means nothing to God.. they can disappear easily. What you have in your heart, not in your bank account matters to God and endures for eternity.
12-13 God tests people, He does not tempt them, He does allow Satan to tempt. This refines our faith and helps us grow in our dependence to God. Resist temptations by turning to God for strength and choosing to obey His Word.
14-15 Temptations begin with an evil thought that becomes sin when we dwell on it and allow it to become and action. Sin grows more destruction the more we let it have it's way.. the best way to stop temptation is before it is too great or moving too fast to control.
I will continue verse 19 - 27 tomorrow. Not a bad start. I am using the Life Application Bible.. I love the commentaries in this.