Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: James 1:19

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Listening and doing

James 1: 19-27

19 - when we talk to much and don't really listen, we communicate that we think our ideas are better.. It is best to really listen to others when they talk.
19,20 - this anger erupts when our egos are bruised.. "My opinions are not being heard!" We should never become angry when we fail to win an argument or feel neglected.. it never helps.
21 - James advises us to get rid of all that is wrong in our lives.. the salvation message alone can save us.
22-25 It is important to know what God's Word says, but it is more important to obey it.
27 when we give with no hope of receiving in return, we show what it means to serve others.  True faith means nothing if we are contaminated with the world's values. (money, power and pleasures)

The verse that really stands out the most to me is verse 19

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:  

This is easy for me to put into practice with others outside the family.. however, I struggle with this in my home.. especially with my children.  This is something that I feel is so important yet it is so hard to remember.  Something I must ask the Lord's help with more often.  I think I should make this my theme verse for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment